Crowd pleasing gluten & dairy-free crab salad
If you like crab and you're up for salad too...this is one of the more perfect combinations, in my opinion - you can really taste and enjoy the crab because it's not dowsed in goopy-mayonaise!
Fresh crab, fresh grapefruit, avocado, chives, butter lettuce, and a super simple Dijon dressing - my idea of heaven, seriously yum!
Crab season is ending early in California this year (to protect migrating humpback whales), and grapefruits will be gone by the end of April too...so if you live here and you like this idea you need to get your skates on!
The following recipe serves ~4-5 people as an appetizer
- 2 fresh cooked & cleaned crab
Note, the amount you need depends on whether this is an appetizer or main. I typically make it as an appetizer and we use 1 crab for every 2-3 people.
- 2 heads of butter lettuce
- 2 grapefruits, peeled & segmented
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted & sliced
- 1 bunch of chives
- 6 T of your favorite extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T champagne (or white wine) vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Make the dressing (mix the vinegar & mustard together & then add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until it's smooth & blended). Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Wash & dry the lettuce
- Peel & segment the grapefruits
- Chop the chives
- Prep the avocados (provided you're ready to eat)
- Combine the crab with ~1 T of the dressing, and toss to coat it evenly
- In a large bowl combine the lettuce with the other prepped ingredients and toss with the salad dressing
- Add the crab on top, sprinkle with the chives and serve immediately.