My primary objective is to free my clients’ minds from the constant questioning, and second guessing that's all too common when it comes to food these days.
I encourage my clients to ditch any prior dieting mindset, and instead to embrace an adventure. Together we’ll generate a ‘customized adventure’ based on your health status, and goals.
My criteria for client success are:
- a newfound sense of confidence around food in general
- freedom from incessant inner dialog about food
- Increased health, wellness and resilience
For those who like a list…
FYI - there’s a story version below
- Karyn Forsyth Duggan’s nutrition practice (June ‘17 - to-date) - Continuing work with referrals from One Medical, and other medical/health care providers.
- One Medical (Sept. ’08 – May ‘17) – Enhanced dietary & lifestyle choices to address symptoms associated with fatigue, weight, blood sugar regulation (pre-DM, DMI & II), GI complaints (from IBS to IBD), HPA axis dysregulation, anxiety & depression etc.
Provided regular nutrition education talks for corporate clients including AirBnB, Adobe, Levis etc.
Education & training
- Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner (Dec ‘20)
- Certified Nutrition Specialist® (Sept, ‘20)
- Masters of Science in Nutrition & Integrative Health, Maryland University of Integrative Health, MD (graduated, Apr ‘20)
- Certified in Dale Bredesen’s Advanced Clinical Training course “Reversing Cognitive Decline” (Aug ‘18)
- Certified Heartmath practitioner, Heartmath Institute, CA (May ‘16)
- Certificate of achievement from Dr. B. J. Fogg's Behavior Academy, Stanford/Healdsburg, CA (Oct ’14)
- Institute of Functional Medicine, completion of AFMCP & all other APMs (Dec ’11 – Mar ’16)
- Certified Nutrition Consultant, Bauman College, Berkeley, CA (graduated, Jul ’06)
- Certified Nutrition Educator, Bauman College, Berkeley, CA (graduated, Jun ’05)
- Certified Natural Chef, Bauman College, Berkeley, CA (graduated, Jun ’05)
- Certified Nutrition Practitioner, British College of Nutrition & Health, London (graduated, Jun ’04)
- Bachelor of International Business & Spanish, University of Limerick, Ireland (graduated, Jun ’94)
For those who prefer a story...
I’m originally from Dublin, Ireland. After graduating from University of Limerick with a degree in Business and Spanish in ‘94, I spent 7 years in the world of advertising in New York and London. In 2000, while living in London, I met a nutritionist and realized the possibility of a career in a field I truly loved.
I started my nutrition studies at the British College of Nutrition & Health, in London, and moved to San Francisco in '02. I graduated from Bauman College in ‘05 as both a Certified Nutrition Consultant as well as Natural Chef (which included culinary externships in Chez Panisse and Greens).
I was in private practice as a Nutrition Consultant for 2 years, and then in ‘08 I started work with One Medical in San Francisco; I was their lead nutritionist until ‘17. Over the course of my 9 years with One Medical, I completed all the advanced practice modules with The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) and trained with leading behavior design psychologist Dr. B. J. Fogg of Stanford University. The behavior design training has been a vital piece of my practice ever since.
Since June '17, I’ve been in private practice again, and in addition to seeing clients, I’ve been continuing my nutrition studies. In 2017, I trained with leading neurologist Dr. Dale Bredesen of the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in the Bredesen ReCODE protocol for the reversal of mild cognitive decline. In March ‘20 I completed my Masters in Nutrition and Integrative Health at the Maryland University of Integrative Health. In September ‘20, I became a board Certified Nutrition Specialist® (CNS) - credentialed by the American Nutrition Association® through its Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists™. And, in December ‘20, I graduated as an Institute of Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner® (IFMCP) - considered the gold standard certification in functional medicine training.
I truly consider myself incredibly lucky to enjoy my work as much as I do; the satisfaction of helping my clients improve their health, and ultimately their lives, is truly unbeatable!
When I’m not connecting with clients, I love spending time with my family in Marin County in Northern California, which typically involves lots of outdoor activities such as hiking, paddle-boarding and snowboarding. I’m also (probably somewhat unsurprisingly!) big into anything and everything related to food…I love spending time cooking, and eating, with family and friends.
The information on this website is provided for informational purposes only; it is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional. Do not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional/herbal supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem.